Pages

Sunday, 28 March 2010

oh, wow, I've just finished watching Sherlock Holmes and that was a GOOD film. A bow to Guy Richie. The acting was superb, the plot was good, the visuals were great and London a hundred years ago wasn't too bad either. I loved Robert Downey Jr and the Thames the most, followed closely by Jude Law. The Thames was seductively grim and gloomy under the mercilessly menacing thunder clouds (yes, that alliteration was deliberate and it took me some time to come up with it). Why is it that whenever they show London of times gone by the only colour you see is grey, the only people you see are the poor, the only animals you see are the rats and the only weather you see is dark and cloudy with a ninety-nine per cent chance of precipitation? I probably watch all the wrong films. And that's why my favourite London is the Sweeney Todd kind of under-the-bridges London or that of the darkest alleys of Dr Parnassus. But how can one not be fascinated by a Tower Bridge under construction? The very first combined bascule and suspension bridge in the world, might I add. Back to the main man - Sherlock. I think the last time I saw Robert Downey Jr was in Zodiac and there he was excellent. However, the slightly longer hairdo and ragged look of a white shirt and a pair of braces really did him justice. He looked like he belonged. Somewhere there. Ageing suits him. A lot. In a word - he was frigging awesome as Sherlock Holmes. And Dr Watson wasn't bad either.

No comments: